Saturday, August 27, 2011

Thank You Bhaichung!

A few days back when I was flipping through the channels. I happened to catch a sound bite of Bhaichung Bhutia which I thought was another promotional he was attending but a few seconds later the anchor confirmed that Bhaichung has decided to quit International football. Initially I could not believe it but as I looked back into his career for the last year or so I could find some logic in his decision. Although as his fan I had wanted him to play till eternity but Bhaichung is also human and the nagging injury got the better of him and we have to respect his decision. He has created a big void which will be difficult to fill.

Bhaichung Bhutia as we all know was born in a small hamlet called Tinkitam in South Sikkim, this place does not even have a decent playing field. After spending his initial years in Tinkitam Bhaichung joined a boarding school called St Xaviers in Pakyoung where his football career started taking shape and he was selected by the Sports Authority of India and admitted in Tashi Namgyal Academy a premier Public School of Sikkim, I am also an alumni of this school and it was here where I saw Bhaichung Bhutia for the first time way back in the year 1991 when I was in standard one. It’s been so many years now and my memory is vague but I remember Bhaichung playing for the school team. Then in 1992 Tashi Namgyal Academy played in the Subrato Cup and reached the quarter finals and Bhaichung bagged the Best player of the tournament award which showed he was destined for greatness. He was called for the India under-16 camp got selected but had to withdraw due to some personal reasons. This was a setback but Bhaichung came back stronger and gave a wonderful performance in the All India Governor’s Gold Cup in the same year and was spotted by Bhaskar Ganguly who took him to East Bengal and the rest they say is history.

He spent sixteen years with the National team, winning the AFC Challenge Cup 2008 which gave India a chance to play in the Asian Cup 2011.On the personal front Bhaichung has 109 appearances for India scoring 43 goals. He also helped India win the Nehru Cup in 2007 and 09 and has four SAAF Cup winners medal in his trophy cabinet.

Well I wonder what else to write as so much has already been written and said about this footballing legend of our times who has singlehandedly given Indian football a new direction and hope. Now Bhaichung plans to dedicate himself fully towards his own creation, United Sikkim Football Club and also keep playing for the team. Bhaichung has truly been an inspiration to a generation of footballers and I am sure he will keep doing so in future as well. Many are saying that this is an end but I say this is a beginning of another chapter in Bhaichung Bhutia’s amazing life!

2 comments:

  1. Please can you tell me about a Nigerian player

    "JOHN NNANNA"

    who earlier played for

    Guwahati Town Club

    and then Shahadra FC in August 2011,

    which team he is playing now pl pl


    Regards,

    Felicia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Saurav

    I came across your name whilst googling Sikkim Football. This is just a shot in the dark really - are you Prakash Sir's grandson by any chance? I remember someone telling me your name and your line of education - hence I put 2 and 2 together to got this 5.

    My email is: chamling@gmail.com

    Best Wishes
    Dhruva Rai

    ReplyDelete