Wednesday, January 26, 2011

United Sikkim- Its more than just a Club




As a football fan It always feels nice when new initiatives are taken towards the promotion of this beautiful game. When Bhaichung Bhutia launched United Sikkim Sporting Club a few years back, I still remember how excited I was. I even convinced my Producers at Zee Sports to do a story on this Club as part of our North East Football package and there I was with my team to shoot their training session at Guards Ground, Gangtok. We shot for nearly half an hour and I stood there wondering, how far this club can go? Will it be able to fill the void of Sikkim not having any clubs which can compete at the National level? But this club never really took off as per my expectations. I was bit disappointed as they limited themselves to just playing in the Sikkim state league and in the Knock out tournaments held in that region.I always felt this club had more to offer as Bhaichung Bhutia himself was the Chief Patron.

Now nearly after two years United Sikkim Sporting Club has got a new life and It was a pleasure for me to read about them and their plans in the National papers. They have applied to the All India Football Federation for a direct entry into the I-League Division II and I am hopeful that they will get the nod from the Federation. The Club has really grown over the years and now have a corporate sponsor with all the necessary support systems in place. Even the Chief Minister of Sikkim has pledged his support to Club and has assured the management that he will give them Land on the outskirts of the Capital city,Gangtok where the club office and Academy will be constructed with an International size football ground. Really exciting times for football in Sikkim. If everything falls into place within the next one year Sikkim can have their own team in the I-League and it gives me Goosebumps just thinking about the kind of euphoria it will create in Sikkim where Football is a way of life. What a sight it will be- Paljor Stadium full to the brim and United Sikkim playing against an away team.

I will commit a sin if I don’t mention another Club from Sikkim here,Denzong Boyz.A team based in Gangtok and last year they had participated in the I-League division II qualifier but unfortunately they could not qualify. They will give it a shot again this year  and I am sure they will do well.It will be wonderful to see two teams in the I-League II from Sikkim and I can foresee a derby already when these two teams will meet at the Paljor Stadium.I think Sikkim Football Association should  think about increasing Paljor Stadium’s capacity as I am sure the whole of Sikkim will come down to watch these two teams in Action.

United Sikkim Sporting Club can be another feather in Bhaichung Bhutia’s cap and I am sure over the years this club will become a force to be reckoned with, in Indian Football. I think it’s time for Sikkim to move on from the Annual All India Governor’s Gold Cup and get ready for the I-League action and support their own teams instead of cheering for some outstation teams. It seems the journey of Sikkimese football towards the greatness has started and United Sikkim will lead the way.

Photograph Courtesy- Rohen Sampang

No comments:

Post a Comment